Saturday 5 June 2010

Good tv, bad tv...




I don't understand reality TV, nor do I enjoy it, and believe me I have given it a try. I cannot think of a situation for harrowing than sitting in on a saturday night to watch a has been pop star struggle to force a kangaroo anus down his gullet. I know I'm not the first to say this, but UK television is at a definate low point, and its dragging us down.

Britain's Got Talent; on the exterior a warm, fuzzy hearted programme showcasing ordinary people and their party tricks, reminiscent of a Butlins holiday your grandma will remember. But this is hardly the case, a row of sneering self important C-list celebrities poke and prod their on stage victims, laughing relentlessly at the poor buggers who believed faithfully in their own miniscule talents. Is it their fault they delude themselves in the first place? I was appauled watching the footage of the first Susan Boyle performance, a relatively normal looking, slightly chubby lady walks on stage and immediately gets a bout of jeering and disgusted looks from both the audience and the sickening slimeball judges. Of course attitudes changed as soon as she opened her mouth, and everyone gave themselves a little slap on the wrist for assuming 'ugly' people can't sing, but that was not what upset me. What would have happened if she opened her mouth and the musical equivalent of lumpy blamange fell out? The jeering would have continued, people would shake their heads and call her deluded and pathetic, she would be buzzed off stage without a hint of optimism. I know what I find incredibly pathetic; the constant rehashing and pimping out of shows that should have been washed out last decade.

Sadly with the instant following created out of reality TV and it's considerably smaller budget, most of our dramas have sunk into oblivion. The BBC used to lovlingly create family dramas which were fun, whimiscal and perfectly sewn together. Snigger as much as you want, but the 1995 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice was absolutely brilliant. Sure, a few sexy alterations were made (who's complaining?) but it consisted of a bright, talented cast in some beautiful surroundings. I was only a kid when I used to watch the show, but I loved it because it was a mirror image of my life as a squabbling sibling, only with fancy dresses and lengthy speeches. Although saying this, a decade later the BBC brought Dicken's Bleak House onto our screens; a long winded but complex drama which was faithful in almost every aspect.

Kids shows have changed too. When I was one of these dwarf people about a decade ago, television was magical. The Magicians house, The Queen's Nose,Bernards Watch, Carrie's War. Even the cartoons were sophiscated, like the cruel realism of Animals of Farthing Wood and the social dilemmas faced in Noah's Island. For those of you have never heard of it, it was about a polar bear called Noah who found himself along with a load of other animals shipwrecked on a mysterious island during a zoo transportation. The creatures of all shapes, sizes and intelligence have to survive on the island by diplomacy and team work, as organised by the reluctant leader, Noah. Basically it is Lost, except with animals and structured, credible storylines.

The only programme I truly look forward to watching these days is Doctor Who. The new season with Matt Smith has started off strongly and so far each episode has carried an exciting plot, fantastic backdrops (Venice, Van Gogh's France, civilisations within the core of Earth, war time England to name a few!)And a youthful cast (Matt Smith and Karen Gillan) who have proven themselves to not only fill the shoes of Tenant, but to out do most of the previous regenerations and thier assistants...or so I am told, I'm not a Doctor nerd.

Next time you turn on the television, do everyone a favour and switch over when Big Brother or Wife Swap are on. I believe good television is good for the soul, and I think we need a bit of optimism and positive aspiration in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment