Tuesday 6 September 2016

First day in Prague

First post from Prague - right now everything feels surreal and odd, it might be something to do with the little sleep I had! Went to bed at 10pm last night, didn't sleep of course and got up at quarter to three. I doubt I will ever get used to early morning flights.

Flight was smooth, I got to my air bnb via taxi thanks to my printed address papers. I had a nightmare situation yesterday - the apartment I booked weeks ago was suddenly cancelled! I was so freaked out that I didn't have much time to get my head round moving and such. It seemed a real shame as this flat was in Prague 2, very close to the house agency and the part of town I fancied living in. Turns out I was pleasantly surprised by the flat booked in its place!

I'm in Prague 8, a bit far from the city centre but it has very good bus and train links. The owner, Bianca is a very eccentric but thoughtful and helpful host. She made sure to write down all the information I need and even got me a short journey ticket to town! The flat is actually lovely! very spacious, proper cooking area and a separate shower and toilet (Bianca added that your 'lover' doesn't need to be that close to your personal habits!) It's surprisingly leafy and quiet here. I hope to use the rooftop terrace at some point, maybe drink some wine :)

After dropping my bags off I set off to the city centre. Super easy and quick to get to. I have however noticed that English is not used as often as I presumed. Most people I met have an extremely basic knowledge of the language with the exception of a very nice African guy who restored my faith in humanity today (long story short, Czech police and ticket operators are arseholes but we all know that!) Even the tourist place names do not give the translation so I had to squint at the little pictures and hope the signs led me somewhere interesting. In short, I'm terribly spoiled and not used to actually having to deal with a foreign language.

I had a good wander round the city centre and snapped a few photos. Every corner has some historical beauty hiding, it was very fascinating! I felt quite relaxed and at ease just wandering the streets and stopping to gawp and take photos when I could. The only downside to this flat is that there is absolutely no corner shops let alone supermarkets nearby so if you need to buy food it all has to be done in town. It won't be too much trouble for this week.

Coming back to the flat after my day in the city I was tired and sweaty and feeling a bit deflated. It's probably a mixture of tiredness, excitement, nervousness and sadness about leaving family behind. After food, shower and skype with parents I am feeling a bit better but I am looking forward to Brian arriving.

Anyway, my battery is low (I forgot to buy some European plug sockets, wah!) so I'll leave this entry for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment