Thursday 29 July 2010

The crowded island


There's just too many men, too many people making too many problems and everyone hates each other. I may be paraphrasing Genesis's anti-Thatcherite song 'Land of Confusion', but I find no other way to say, there is just too many fecking people on this island.

I live just outside of a former industrial town in essex which remained generally unoticied for decades until the London overspill, an airport and a snobby outlet village lured in the masses. Anytime of the day the roads are congested, and I, the eternal pedestrian avoid near death on a daily basis by dodging the frustrated drivers. Is it just me or is everyone behind the wheel betting on who can run over my legs in the shortest time? Since when is it ok for drivers to hurtle down a road then suddenly blast their horn at a unsuspecting pedestrian who was crossing at a clearing?

We are told humans are social beings, we crave social surroundings, we must exist around other existence otherwise what's the point of existing? Am I some social outcast because I like to have space and quiet by myself? Whoever says they enjoy the elbow jamming and obnoxious shoving in nightclubs is either a liar or an idiot. A young Amish girl commented on the crowds of London in a recent Channel Four documentary, "I notice that one out of three (communters)have headsets on, isolating themselves. It's kind of amazing how you can be in such a big crowd and be totally isolated."

I can't even walk into town without being bundled by a herd of old grannies. As painfully inhumane to even mention, old people just don't die anymore. They are on calorie controlled and heart disease busting diets, pepped up with supplements for every dodgey bone and ligament, and although they are hobbling about like extras from Dawn of the Dead and quality of life has rapidly decreased, hey, at least they are alive! I'm not suggesting that everyone go to the old folks home and smother great aunt Doris, just be aware of who is really clogging up the earth. And causing all that extra methane in the atmosphere. Its not the cows.

But the real cause of overpopulation is startingly obvious: reproduction at an excessive level. For some reason these days just having one of something isn't enough. People have to have more than one car, people are not satisfied with owning just one fat smelly labrador, they have to collect at least three, like gargantuan Pound Puppies, and people have to have more than one child to make a family.

Urgh, I see babies and children everywhere I go, all dribbling and gawping, and peppering every toilet, shop and street with sweet wrappers. For someone who has a general bewilderment and/or fear towards these small creatures, I seem to have landed myself a temporary job that demands constant involvement with children and their tiny acrid feet. Millions of them plunder into the shop. Flustered parents block walkways with giant buggys, causing kids and shop assistant alike to perform a rather clumsy dance along the floor. Children run around the shop picking up shoes and helpfully dropping them elsewhere. I get whacked on the head by a set of keys given to a baby while he or she is repeatedly kicking in my general direction whilst I strap a foot down. Its like trying to measure a very angry, very alive eel. The end of the day the assistants are lying unconscious on the ground blanketed in shoes and sweet wrappers.

The trouble is, there are just too many children in the world, or indeed in the UK. Britain's sides are bulging with the whining devils, they render every simple joy renderless. I can't go to a toy museum or see a Disney movie at the cinema without the sheer irritation of a child's incessant cry. Perhaps I'm going to the wrong places.

I think for Britain we must invest in an idea brought forward by Karl Pilkington, the 'round-headed bufoon' of The Ricky Gervais Podcast. He notes that the overpopulation dilemma could be solved if everyone could go through single procreation i.e we all live until 78 and when we die we subsquentally give birth to a baby, and the cycle continues in a strict, unmessy fashion without fear of using up all our resources and damaging the earth in one big hit. Brilliant idea, and I hope scientists make an advance on this. For me, its either reincarnated pod people, or moving to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment